How to get your property "show house" ready
PUBLISHED 15 NOV 2018
When deciding to sell your property, it is essential to assess it critically from an appeal point of view as first impressions are vital to a potential buyer. You have to start by looking at the pavement appeal – how your property looks from the outside pavement and then systematically work your way through the property to the inside of the house.
If need be, ask a friend or family member to give you an honest opinion of what they think, as you have most probably been living in the property for some time and may have got used to the look – it’s only human!
A well-maintained home that is considered to be fairly priced will appeal to a wide variety of buyers and will have more chance of selling within a reasonable time-frame. A good first impression is the initial step to securing a property sale.
Therefore, you only have one chance to impress potential buyers and the following should be attended to: (some points will not be applicable to properties situated in complexes)
- The grass should be cut, watered and fed on a regular basis.
- The flower beds should be weeded and the shrubs neatly trimmed – if possible, plant flowers to provide some nice colour to the garden.
- If there is a swimming pool, the water should be crystal clear – if necessary, get the local pool guy to look at it.
- Look at the outside walls and gutters to see if it needs re-painting. If not, then at least pressure-wash the walls.
- Organise and clean out the garage.
- Check if the inside walls need to be re-painted or cleaned.
- Ensure the following are cleaned:
- the windows – inside and outside.
- all the electrical and light switches.
- built-in appliances such as ovens and hobs.
- the baths, showers and the shower doors.
- Clutter will distract buyers from the home’s features and make spaces appear smaller, therefore:
- de-clutter the home and pack away unused items.
- clear items from the top of kitchen counters.
- tidy up the bathrooms and showers.
- pack away any un-ironed laundry.